Sunday 20 July 2008

Poems by Michael Newman



Collision Course ©


We dip its beak in water,

Bring it back to flesh and feather.

Mercifully, the neck is not broken.

One bird, newly fledged,

And beyond parental control,

Flying smack into cruel glass.


٭ ٭ ٭


I would have left things at that,

Content to have played a merciful God

In front of my younger children.

But then you take a pot-shot

With your airgun,

And only by luck, miss.

As you battle with the dark side,

And rid your teens of humour,

There is no therapeutic water dip;

Nor do gentle giants, eyes agog,

Will you into fairy-tale flight.

Between needle and black-out,

You flicker on the edge of humanity,

And watch me die.



Condemned building ©

In the moon-dog madness

Of the full quarter,

Pagan gods are worshipped,

And golden calves set up.

The asp is worn as necklace,

The spindle as finger ring.


Now the tower has partially collapsed,

Saplings grow in the vestry,

And nettles in the nave.

Danger – Keep Out’ –

The rubric could have been penned

By the Devil himself.

God is the hole in the roof

Where the carols get through.


Redundant church Redundant prayer

And a pensioned-off vicar.

Where is your Living Word now,

Son of Man?


* * *


I cannot see the face of the child

Who intercedes for me.

Will not the moon become cradle again,

To rock the Infant Prince?

Will not the stars

Tease out the prophecies

Of the Magi,

And turn desert song

Into hymn of praise?


Now the very drains

Become baptismal water,

Purified by Love.

And the cracked bell chimes

At the moment of Eucharist.

In our hearts and in our mouths,

New prayers consecrate the rubble.




Love Letter ©


We don’t do platonic,

You and I –

Were always meant to be lovers.


And if I love you for a day,

All the world’s sonnets will flicker

Across my brain,

Set up strobe lighting.

I shall be sectioned for reciting Spenser

In the supermarket.


And if I love you for a month,

A long far holiday month,

Then every candle will be gutted

In every public place,

Unable to cope with the hurricane

Of our passion.


We don’t do platonic,

You and I –

Lovers for a circle of suns

And a cycle of seasons.


Yes, the eternity of a year.

I will have learnt your ways

By then,

How your eyes say yes

When your lips do not move,

How your fingers play Chopin

Across my soul.


It will be like tongues of fire

Where the only language is silence.




Moon Folly ©


That moon, Stalin,

Was it sensual as a lover,

Or sickle-shaped?

Did it entice you through the mist,

Or snarl like a bandit?

All tenderness died with Kato.

* * *

What use are lullabies

To the Orphans of the Terror?

They are vapid laments

Taken up by the aether.

What use indeed are lullabies?

The strong man rids himself of ghosts.

Enter Voroshilov, to outlaw doubt.

Reduce the age of criminal guilt

To twelve, just twelve.

Girls and boys stay in today,

The hangman’s noose is out to play.

* * *

There is no mountain,

But the desert of oppression.

Enchanting moon,

Can you remember that day

When a revolutionary

Wrote you a poem?

Were you sensual as a lover?

Or did you glare with his insanity?


Release

Just now

The celandines are at smile,

And the forgotten gravel heap

Is covered with yellow.


Every March it is the same,

An open Treasury

After winter’s penny candle.

There are not enough smiles

To describe the wonder I feel.


And then you turn towards me,

Woman of the dark secrecy,

And I know an abundance

Of celandines.


I cannot tell

What it is in your smile

So undoes me;


Only this,

That when we kiss

It is like the rain

Touching the celandines,

Very gently.






Remembrance ©


The day my father died

You sought to embrace me,

But I pushed you away

As though something unclean

Had passed between us.


There was no grey

To the all-alone sky,

Just a loud blue

That commanded

Unnatural happiness.


I looked to the hills,

But they were broken-backed,

And could not be retuned.


The day my father died

Your hurt eyes spoke

Across the null-and-void,

But I had nothing left to give.


The teacups tinkled

With mindless laughter,

And the eyes of the clock

Were countersunk:


We passed a silent evening,

Shrieking with unspoken words.





No comments: